Most of my clients ask me about the big square box from the center area of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s a whole house fan and it may either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and less humid nights
* Use it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is a lot more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. In case your air conditioning system has been operating during the day, and also the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the read review. The vent will suck each of the humid air to your air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to make use of it might be, needless to say, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be a great idea to bring every one of the pollution to the house. The window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as much doors and windows as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (when they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (at least in the highest speed) is so great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, through the chimney. Should it be a fireplace chimney so you don’t eliminate the ashes… well, it’s likely to be a mess. If it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow off of the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you may turn on the whole house fan in most cases throughout the next couple of seconds you need to feel a lot of exterior air flowing in your home. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both must be balanced to work properly so that you can really gain benefit from the whole house fan operation. Air drawn by the whole house fan should be discharged throughout the attic vents towards the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area can cause the air that had been just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps from the attic wh0le as well as the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation is probably not enough to back up the Tumblr operation; you may need far more to hold everything extra amount of air to the exterior. And the formula to calculate the sq footage in the attic vents required to discharge that air is very easy. You only need the proportions of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, along with a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your house you believe should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the part of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re relocating to offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope which it was properly sized up because of its purpose (there might be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your home air within just a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for the house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your residence total air volume (6550 cubic feet from my sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That will provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet a minute).
6. Yet another essential thing: louvers from the tumblr usually are not air tight and possess no insulation put on their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would personally recommend installing an entire house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts through the cold season – don’t forget to remove it prior to deciding to take advantage of the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and several people never rely on them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet should you apply all of the above. There are currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more efficient, and give air circulation for extended periods of time.